The compound of the Intersection convent in the village of Markovo
The history of the Kazan Church of the village Markovo began in the XVII century, when Astrakhan Governor Prince Yakov Nikitich Odoevsky bought Markovo and its neighboring Malakhov.
The Church has been built since 1672 to 1680. When the work was completed, everyone could see the elegant building: rich, diverse decorated, with shaped bricks carved with white stone, and green glazed tiles. Red brick walls go in the contrast with the white cornices and architraves on the windows and high-rise gables. The main throne of the temple was consecrated in honor of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God. From the west and east sides the temple has four side-chapels: in the name of the holy prophet the Forerunner and the Baptist of the Lord John, the faithful princes of the martyrs Boris and Gleb, St. Nicholas, Archbishop Mir Likijsky and the Monk Makari Unzhensky, the miracle-worker. Each of the chapels is crowned with a small bulbous cupola. Inside, there are wooden iconostases decorated with gilded openwork wooden carvings. The architect used the principle of floating symmetry. Due to this principle, it looks harmoniously from near or far.
October 29, 1901 in the Kazan church of the village of Markov in the Bronnitsy district of the Moscow province, a chapel was consecrated in the name of the Forerunner and the Baptist John. The chapel was renewed with the help of the priest I. Kazantsev and the head of the village church Rybaki Grigory Kondratyev, and some parishioners.
In the middle of the XIX century the western temple porch was destroyed. There the bell tower was built. In the 60th, two western chapels were abolished and connected to the eastern chapel.
In the time of the theomachy the temple was closed and ruined. The vegetable storehouse was placed within the walls of the «pearl» of the Russian church architecture. In 1962, the Kazan Church in the village of Markovo was given the status of a monument of architecture of Federal value, however, the situation of the Orthodox shrines did not change - almost nothing of the once rich Church furnishings survived. In the seventies «lovers of antiquity» barbarously tore out all the images from the iconostases. Only the iconostasis of the XVII century, miraculously preserved in one of the chapels, was transferred to the Center for Old Russian Culture and Art named after Andrei Rublev. The temple was mentioned in local history literature in 1975 for the las time.
In June 1999, the Kazan temple of the village of Markovo were handed over to the Pokrovsky Stauropegic Women's Monastery for the opening of the monastery skete and the compound establishment.
On June 25, 2000, after the Liturgy at the Trinity Cathedral in the city of Ramenskoye, His Holiness Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexy II together with Metropolitan Yuvenaly of Krutitsy and Kolomna visited it for the first time. His Holiness consecrated five crosses of the Kazan church, which were lately installed on domes then.
On November 13, 2004, His Holiness Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexy II consecrated the three chapels of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God at the Pokrovsky Convent in the village of Markovo.